- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef (I use 96/4)
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning packet (cumin, cayenne pepper, can sugar, paprika, onion, garlic, black pepper, red bell pepper, oregano, chili pepper, smoked paprika)
- 1 can of fire-roasted tomatoes (I used a generic brand)
- 1 can of Trader Joe's pinto refried beans
- 1 package La Tortilla Factory 100 Calorie tortillas
My boyfriend could eat red meat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. While I do appreciate a good steak from time to time, I prefer to base my meals around lean meats or seafood and lots of vegetables. So how do I make something we’re both satisfied with? The answer is Mexican food! Most people associate Mexican food with high calories and fat because most Mexican restaurant tend to sell a lot of fried items or meat cooked in oils. When you really think about it, Mexican food is based around a lot of fresh vegetables and spices so when made at home, it can be really nutritious. So I came up with the perfect burrito recipe that would make us both happy.
1) Coarsely chop onion, green, and red pepper and pulse in a food processor.
2) Add 1 tsp. oil to a nonstick skillet. Saute for 2 minutes. Add ground meat and half a packet of seasoning mix and cook for another 5 minutes.
3) Add half to whole can of fire roasted tomatoes and half to whole can of refried beans. The amount really depends on your taste. If you prefer a meatier burrito, you could definitely add another pound of ground beef and use the whole cans.
The final product will have a creamier look after the addition of the beans.
4) Let the meat simmer for a few more minutes and then your burritos are ready to serve!
I heat the tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds and then top mine with Wholly Guacomole, salsa, and low-fat shredded Mexican cheese. DELICIOSO