- 1 10oz bag Trader Joe's Pre-washed & Pre-cut Kale
- 2 cans Trader Joe's Organic Great Northern Beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 package Trader Joe's Spinach, Fontina & Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4-6 cups Trader Joe's Organic lower sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 1 bag of Trader Joe's Par-Baked Mini Baguettes
This soup is a great dish to start off the new year. Not only does it incorporate nutrient dense kale, which provides fiber, iron, vitamins C, A & K, and calcium but the chicken sausage provides 15 grams of protein with less than half the fat of pork sausage. The white beans are full of fiber and protein as well. If you want to fight off winter colds and the flu add this soup to your diet and your immune system will get a jumpstart.
All the ingredients are really easy to find at any grocery store, but I tried to condense the list just to Trader Joe’s for one stop shopping. I made a huge pot while Romain was in France for Christmas and had a bowl each night when I got home from work. I bought TJ’s mini par-baked baguettes on a whim and now they are a staple in my kitchen. I keep a bag in the freezer and whenever I make soup, I bake a personal sized baguette until it’s golden brown to serve on the side. These baguettes are absolutely perfect; crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and you don’t have to worry about them getting stale.
Let’s get healthy in 2013!
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven and saute the onion for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and chicken sausage and saute until sausage is slightly browned.
2) Mash half (1 can) of the beans with a fork and add to the pot. This will help to thicken and flavor the broth.
3) Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the beans, kale, and spices and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Mix in the parmigiano right before serving or sprinkle over the top if you prefer.
4) Bake the baguettes according to directions and serve with a hearty bowl of soup.