- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. skim milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices Jennie-O turkey bacon
- 1/4 onion
- 1/4 green pepper
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese
- taco seasoning (optional)
When I’m in the mood to eat something healthy and easy to make, I turn to omelets. Eggs are such a great source of protein and make a perfect canvas for lots of nutritious vegetables. I usually use whatever I have leftover in my refrigerator. Today I was craving Mexican and I just so happened to have all the right ingredients. I’m not gonna lie, my omelet did not stay completely intact (I blame it on the pan), but it was still super scrumptious. Give it a try, and let me know what you think.
1) Add coursely chopped onion and peppers into a food processor and pulse until everything is minced and combined. I have a Cuisinart Chop and Grind that works wonders for such purposes. I like to pulse the veggies into small pieces because they cook faster, but you can also leave them in bigger pieces if preferred.
2) Chop turkey bacon into small pieces. Add bacon and veggie mixture to a skillet coated in cooking spray. Saute for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk, and spices in a small bowl. You can use egg whites if you prefer, but the yolk is a great source of iron.
3) Add the egg mixture to the skillet. Let cook for several minutes until egg is almost cooked through. Sprinkle half of omelet with Mexican cheese.
4) Fold omelet in half with a spatula. (Don’t worry if it breaks, it still tastes just as good!) Cook for 1-2 minutes more.
5) Slide omelet onto plate. Serve with Wholly Guacamole or avocado slices and Trader Joe’s Veggie and Flax Seed Tortilla chips.
This is such a colorful and satisfying dish that’s appealing to the eyes and the tastebuds. YUM!