Forget store bought Almond Joys, these bars are soooo much better. Once upon a time when I was still a picky eater, these were the chocolate bars that I separated out of my Halloween candy because I had convinced myself I didn’t like them. If I could go back in time, I would slap my younger self for missing out on so many delicious food combinations that I never even gave a chance. With that being said, Almond Joys are in fact delicious but they have absolutely nothing on homemade Almond Joy Bars. Trust me. The buttery shortbread bottom layered with sweet chewy coconut and topped off with almonds and dark chocolate is a heavenly combination. You can easily double the recipe and bake in a 13X9 pan or spread out a bit thinner on a cookie sheet.
Almond Joy Bars
Author: Adapted from Just A Pinch Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
If you are a fan of Almond Joys, you will fall in love with this cookie bar version.
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅔ c light brown sugar, packed
- 1¼ c flour
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 14 oz (1 bag) shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 bag Ghiradelli dark chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350° F . Spray an 8×8 pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until combined. Add the flour and salt and mix until combined. Transfer into the prepared pan and evenly press the batter into an even layer. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire baking rack while preparing the coconut topping.
- In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, coconut, and vanilla. Spread over the crust and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until it begins to brown. Sprinkle the coconut layer with sliced almonds.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a glass bowl in 30 second intervals in the microwave until you can stir the chocolate smooth.Pour over cooked coconut bars and spread into an even layer. While chocolate is still pliable push 16 almonds into the chocolate. Allow to cool then refrigerate until hardened, about 1 hour. Cut into 16 squares.