I am throwing another healthy muffin recipe your way. Since Lent started, I promised Romain that I would only bake once a week, so I spend most of my Sundays in the kitchen. Since we are trying to eat healthier, muffins are an easy way to indulge without all the guilt and they are such an easy breakfast option to have available in the mornings. The beauty of using bananas in quick breads is that you can easily cut back on fat and sugar because the ripe bananas provide moisture and sweetness. I replaced most of the oil with applesauce in this recipe and used light sour cream instead of adding any butter.
As difficult as it may be, I am also giving up shopping. This means no more impromptu trips to Homegoods on my days off, and no more hoarding cool kitchen gadgets that I don’t really need. I am also only allowed to go grocery shopping one time per a week, which actually has turned out to be rather liberating. I started planning out my weekly meals so that I don’t end up spending extra money on groceries that I don’t need. Myrecipes.com is a really great way to plan out your meals. I use a lot of Cooking Light recipes anyways and this site allows you to print out shopping lists for the ingredients for all of the recipes you choose.
Also, have you noticed my blog updates? Thanks to my computer geek genius fiance, I now have a new logo and a much cleaner design. He spent all day yesterday working on it, when I’m sure he would have much rather been doing nothing on his day off. Love you Romain! It’s still a work in progress, but after one year, I’m happy that I’m still so committed to this blog.
Now I just need to get a new camera and work on my photography skills. Baby steps!
- 2 cups King Arthur white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsps. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups over-ripe bananas, mashed (about 3 large bananas)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- unsweetened coconut for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, wheat germ, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the applesauce, oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar and honey. Whisk in the vanilla extract, mashed bananas, sour cream, and eggs. Mix in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until combined. Pour the batter into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with remaining chocolate chips and coconut. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let them cool on a wire rack.