This is my second pumpkin recipe of the season and also the second recipe from my copy of Martha Stewart Cakes that I have baked. The combination of sage and browned butter in this savory, sweet loaf is genius! It is seriously the perfect breakfast bakery of fall. Serve it with Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter and a steaming cup of coffee and I swear you can actually feel the leaves changing color. This quick bread is incredibly moist and has a very complex flavor. Sage is one of my favorite herbs to use in autumn. It has a sweet yet savory earthy taste that greatly enhances the flavor of pumpkin and winter squashes. The combination is just such a welcoming twist on a traditional pumpkin bread.
I also was excited to try this recipe so that I could showcase one of my newest Nordic Ware purchases, the Pumpkin Patch loaf pan. I highly recommend these cast aluminum pans because they are sooo durable and have the cutest designs. I seriously cannot get enough of them! I spend a lot of my days off browsing the baking aisles at Homegoods searching for these pans. I love a great deal!
Stay tuned, pumpkin season is just beginning….
- 6 ounces (1½ sticks) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup fresh sage, cut into thin strips, plus more, whole, for garnish
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup solid-pack pumpkin (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add sage strips, and cook until butter turns golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl of your stand mixer, and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Whisk together pumpkin, sugar, eggs, and browned butter with sage in stand mixer. Add flour mixture, and whisk until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan. Smooth top gently using an offset spatula.
- Bake for 37-45 minutes depending on your oven. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before transferring to serving plate. Garnish with whole sage leaves before serving.