- CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Marshmallow Fluff
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2-4 tbsp heavy cream
- Graham cracker crumbs
- mini marshmallows
These pirate-themed cupcakes went along with my sports-themed Moist Vanilla Cupcakes for a Kindergartener’s school birthday party. I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe and filled them with marshmallow fluff. I topped that with a chocolate Ganache, graham cracker crumbs, and mini marshmallows. The finished product looked really cute. I found the pirate liners and flags at Michael’s Crafts store. The only change I would make next time is adding a graham cracker crust to the bottom of the cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cupcake pan with liners
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Let cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Use a piping bag to fill the cupcakes with the fluff.
Heat the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals until just soft enough to stir. Add cream and stir until shiny and smooth. Spread about 1/2 tbsp over each cupcake. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and mini marshmallows.