Once again I am behind on my posts and desperately need to catch up. This was actually my second cookie recipe for Jessica’s Cookie Swap party, which was about a month ago. I figured that it’s still okay to post this recipe because although I made them for Christmas, you can definitely make them throughout the winter. Ironically, it has been a really warm winter in southern California so hot cocoa has been the last thing on my mind. I actually just spent my afternoon sipping a smoothie by the pool (sorry Eastcoasters!) Either way these cookies are delicious, decadent and over the top chocolatey! I used different Dove Promise flavors in the center instead of just regular chocolate, which was a welcoming surprise for each recipient. I love all the inspiring messages on the inside foil of these chocolates. They always make me smile!
If I make these again, I may actually use a less decadent chocolate cookie such as King Arthur’s Chocolate Drop Cookies because I prefer a chewy texture. Also check out the beautiful photos on Pip & Ebby blog for some more inspiration!
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
- 12 oz bars semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1½ cups flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups (packed) light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 30 marshmallows
- 30 Dove Promises (Milk, Dark, White, Peppermint or Sea Salt Caramel)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chopped chocolate, stirring frequently, over medium heat. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Using your standmixer, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth, 2 minutes. Mix in the cooled chocolate mixture just until blended. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour. (If making the dough a day ahead, let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before shaping.)
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 325 degrees . Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment. Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange about 16 balls 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening slightly. Bake until the tops of the cookies crack, about 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, snip 8 marshmallows in half crosswise and stick 1 Dove chocolate onto each of the cut sides.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven; gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallows are just softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes; grate the remaining chocolate over the hot cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks; let cool. Repeat the process with the remaining dough, marshmallows and chocolate. Bake each batch on a clean sheet of parchment.