- 1 cup sifted King Arthur Whole Wheat White flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. flax meal
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or maple extract
- 2/3 cup M&Ms or chocolate chips
As much as I love rich chocolate brownies, I’m definitely a blonde through and through. I seriously cannot resist these chewy gooey treats. If you’re searching for a foolproof blondie recipe, look no further. These are amazing! I amped up the nutrition with whole wheat flour and flax meal, but if you don’t have any on hand all-purpose flour is just as delicious. Since I hit up the after Valentine’s sale at Target, I have a stockpile of pink M&Ms. I thought they would be a nice change from regular chocolate chips. I then made heart cutouts with my new cookie cutters. These are so versatile you could add in your choice of chocolate or nuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Measure 1 cup sifted flour. Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Mix well and set aside.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer. Cool slightly.
- Beat in egg, flax meal, vanilla or maple extract (I did half and half). Add flour mixture, a little at a time, mixing well. Mix in half of the M&Ms.
- Spread in 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Sprinkle the rest of the M&Ms on top (I didn’t do this, but I think it would look prettier). Bake for 20 to 24 minutes. It will seem uncooked, but will harden while cooling.
- Let them cool entirely. Cut into squares or use a cookie cutter to make shapes.
*Double the recipe if you want to bake in a 9×13 pan.
The best part of making cutouts of these brownies are all the scraps that you can gobble up in the process!