- 2 3/4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons frozen unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vodka, chilled
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 Fresh or 1 jar of Trader Joe's jarred peaches
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp Blood Orange Vodka
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp skim milk
These are a perfect ending to a summer dinner especially if you have fresh ripe peaches. The best part about these turnovers are that they are “light,” or at least lighter than your typical turnover. I sniped this recipe from my May Cooking Light magazine. I used whole wheat instead of all purpose flour and jarred instead of dried peaches and they were delicious! You can pretty much sub any fruity filling that you want, but the real gem of this recipe is the lighter crust. The key is frozen butter and vodka, which keeps this moist and flaky with a minimal amount of butter. I’m definitely going to try this with different fruit fillings.
1. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, salt, and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor; pulse 10 times. Add frozen butter, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Place food processor bowl and flour mixture in freezer for 15 minutes.
2. Place the bowl back on the processor. Combine vodka and cold water. Add the vodka mixture slowly through food chute, pulsing just until combined. I used flavored Blood Orange Vodka, but any flavor will work.
3. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Shape each dough portion into a ball; flatten each ball into a 3-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Roll each dough portion into a 5-inch circle, adding the remaining 1/4 cup flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking. Stack dough circles between single layers of wax paper or plastic wrap to prevent sticking. Cover stack with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. To prepare filling, combine chopped peaches, cranberries, 2 tbsp brown sugar , nutmeg, cinnamon, vodka and 2 tbsp of white grape juice from peach jar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer; cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Remove dough from the refrigerator. Working with 1 circle at a time, spoon 2 level tablespoons peach mixture into center of each circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork to seal.
7. Combine milk and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Brush pies evenly with egg mixture. Cut three diagonal slits across top of each pie. Place pies, cut sides up, on baking sheet, and place on middle oven rack. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly on wire rack.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. YUM!