- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup blue agave syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 7 cups Trader Joe's Crisp Rice Cereal
- mini chocolate chips or chocolate drizzle (optional)
Nothing brings me back to my childhood quite like homemade Rice Krispie Treats. Crunchy, chewy, and marshmallowy, this no-bake dessert is simple to make and super satisfying. I was planning on making some traditional treats because I had a bag of marshmallows, but then I spotted a tempting recipe on the box of Trader Joe’s Crisp Rice Cereal that I had purchased and decided to give it a whirl. The best part about this recipe is that is 100% natural so you can feel a little bit less guilty about indulging. In my opinion, this peanut butter and brown sugar treat is a pretty wholesome breakfast or snack. I wasn’t sure if these Crisp Rice Treats could take on the original Rice Krispie Treat, but after tasting the results I think they’ve met their match. This recipe was even approved by 3 French guys, and the French don’t even like peanut butter!
1) Combine brown sugar and blue agave syrup in saucepan and bring to a near boil, stirring often. Remove from heat.
2) Add peanut butter to mixture. Mix well with a whisk. Add cereal and mix with a cake spatula.
3) Press the mixture into 13 x 9 pan and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. (You could also mix chips into the treats) Refrigerate until cool.
I highly recommend giving these treats a try. They really are delicious. I ended up making only a half portion and pressed them into a round cake pan. I cut them into triangles, but I just ordered some cookie cutters online that I would have loved to use. As you can see I used Mighty Maple peanut butter from Peanut Butter & Co., but you can add any brand you like. You can definitely be creative with these, maybe I’ll even add some bananas next time.