- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp high quality vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 -1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream and they were still very good)
- 1/4 cup canola oil or vegetable oil (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon pure (not imitation) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- CINNAMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 2 tsp cinnamon and extra for dusting
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2-4 tbsp milk or cream
I wanted to try something new when my cousins, sister, and her friend visited me last week in California. With a sweet burst of cinnamon in every bite, these were a definite winner. The cupcakes were super moist and the frosting was delectable, however I didn’t make enough frosting to pipe it correctly. Definitely use 2 sticks of butter instead of one if you want to pipe it. If you just want to spread it on then 1 stick is enough. I used my usual vanilla cupcake recipe with just a few adjustments.
Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
In a small bowl, combine sugar and vanilla extract.
Using a wire whisk, mix the vanilla with the sugar until it is infused.
Sift in the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and combine with a whisk.
Add butter and mix on medium-low speed for three minutes. Because there is so little butter, you’ll end up with a very fine crumb texture.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
Slowly add buttermilk and mix on low speed until just combined.
Bake for about 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Bake for 10 minutes in a cupcake maker for a perfect cupcake everytime.
Once cooled, brush each cupcake with melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
For the frosting, beat the butter and cinnamon until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar and add milk to loosen it up a bit.
When the cupcakes are completely cooled pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes and dust with cinnamon.